skip to Main Content

Donald Trump controversy: Donald Trump sues Spanish chef José Andrés for renouncing a hotel deal | Spain


[ad_1]

Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump.Charlie Neibergall / AP

Donald Trump lodged a $ 10 million lawsuit against the Spanish leader José Andrés for dropping his plan to open an upscale restaurant in one of the billionaire’s planned luxury hotels in Washington DC.

Andrés cut off trade relationship after Trump made ‘derogatory’ remarks against Latinos

Trump followed through on threats to sue the famous Spanish culinary artist after Andrés announced last month that he was cutting all commercial ties with the Republican presidential hopeful over his “derogatory” remarks against Latinos and Mexicans, specifically.

As he announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination on June 16, Trump said part of the US national security problem was caused by illegal migration across the Mexican border.

“They bring drugs, they bring crime, they are rapists […]. I will build a big, big wall on our southern border and I will make Mexico pay for this wall, ”he said.

<a class=Spanish chef José Andrés.” class=”lazyload block width_full” width=”560″ height=”349″ loading=”lazy” src=”https://images.english.elpais.com/resizer/WTmidHajayaOxDb-1okqTf8JkA0=/414×0/cloudfront-eu-central-1.images.arcpublishing.com/prisa/BOBCZOFERXR3BTO2H52DBLHB44.jpg” srcset=”https://images.english.elpais.com/resizer/WTmidHajayaOxDb-1okqTf8JkA0=/414×0/cloudfront-eu-central-1.images.arcpublishing.com/prisa/BOBCZOFERXR3BTO2H52DBLHB44.jpg 414w,https://images.english.elpais.com/resizer/5sHM1CqmhGFfYcccRLDXWviLhtc=/828×0/cloudfront-eu-central-1.images.arcpublishing.com/prisa/BOBCZOFERXR3BTO2H52DBLHB44.jpg 640w,https://images.english.elpais.com/resizer/tTVRwIU7vbuwE5VelEktCIAzSm4=/980×0/cloudfront-eu-central-1.images.arcpublishing.com/prisa/BOBCZOFERXR3BTO2H52DBLHB44.jpg 1000w,https://images.english.elpais.com/resizer/04Irpebpq4FLk9INM9zmxy5aOBY=/1960×0/cloudfront-eu-central-1.images.arcpublishing.com/prisa/BOBCZOFERXR3BTO2H52DBLHB44.jpg 1960w”/>
Spanish chef José Andrés.Jacquelyn Martin / AP

His words sparked a criticism back from Latin Hispanic groups to pro-migration organizations. Companies and television networks such as Macy’s, Univision, Televisa and NBC have also cut ties with the real estate mogul because of his controversial statements.

Andrés, who became a US citizen in 2013 and owns a successful restaurant chain in Washington DC, had agreed to open a trendy new restaurant at the Trump International Hotel, which is being built in the former US Post Office. Pavilion on Pennsylvania Avenue in the United States. Capital city.

More information

“As a proud Spanish migrant and recently naturalized American citizen myself, I believe that all human beings deserve respect, regardless of their migration status,” Andrés said in a statement. “Donald Trump’s recent and derogatory statements about migrants make it impossible for me and my business to pursue the successful opening of a Spanish restaurant on Trump’s property.

Shortly after Andrés announced he was canceling his business relationship with Trump last month, the billionaire’s son warned the Spanish leader that he would be prosecuted for breaching the contract he had previously signed.

“We will also apply the exclusivity provisions preventing Mr. Andrés from opening a competing restaurant anywhere in the DC area,” said Donald Trump Jr.

Trump’s attorneys say chief’s move ‘curious’ as their client’s views on immigration have remained consistent

In the DC federal court lawsuit against Andrés and his ThinkFoodGroup on Friday, Trump’s attorneys said the leader’s decision to step down was “curious in light of the fact that Mr. Trump’s publicly divided views on l ‘immigration have remained consistent for many years’. The Washington Post reported.

Since his White House announcement, Trump has had a series of entanglements with his fellow Republicans, insulting some while accusing others of being too lenient on national security matters.

As he dominates the most Republican polls As the party’s main nomination contestant next year, Trump is expected to face his opponents in his first political debate, scheduled for Thursday in Ohio.

[ad_2]

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back To Top